Chapter 7: Millennial Education
The prophet Isaiah suggests that angels will be the head teachers under the new regime. Through the ages, angels have been present, but were often unseen. During the millennium, says the prophet, the teachers will no more be “removed into a corner” but “thine eyes shall see thy teachers” (Isa. 30:20). The Bible tells us that angels will accompany Christ when He returns to earth. Angels will be present at the judgment of the saints. Angels will attend the coronation of the King. Angels will surround the marriage supper of the Lamb (Matt. 16:27; Dan. 7:10; Rev. 19:6-8). Shall we exclude the angels from the millennium classroom? Certainly not!
But experienced angels will not be the only teachers. Many of the new immortals, the 144,000 co-rulers with Christ, may also be employed as teachers. Fully qualified by their own intense training, they will find delight in introducing young millenarians in the ways of God and the high ideals of His holiness and truth.
The book of Revelation supports this thought by assigning a very special title to this very special group: they shall be “priests” as well as “kings” (Rev. 5:10); they will be “priests of God and of Christ” (Rev. 20:6). They shall be “named the priests of the Lord: men shall call [them] the ministers of our God” (Isa. 61:6). The priest’s primary function is to teach and instruct. Great will be the need, and with angels superintending and Jesus Christ reigning, great will be their resources.
It seems also very probable that the mortals most advanced in their training will be quickly promoted to positions of teaching their fellow mortals. This has long been a principle within the plan of God, that those who are instructed should teach dedicated, committed disciples, who in turn should be able to “teach others also” (2 Tim. 2:2).
This first step—the preparing of qualified teachers—will come about quickly. Then, as the nations submit and desire to learn from the new administrators, multitudes of teachers will be ready to instruct the eager students. This is as God would have it, for He has purposed that all should know what, why and how about the new arrangement; and that each should be fully informed of his or her duties and responsibilities. Why should those who have lived in an information age suddenly need education? Simply because the old text books, the old resources, the old authorities will be out of date. Furthermore, they will be out of vogue. Scarcely a single course of study offered under the old regime will be useful under the new. Could this be possible? Just think about it:
- What need to study Political Science, when a new type of government has superseded all previous and faulty governments, and is in place forever?
- What need to study the many branches of medicine, when no one is sick any more in the whole world? (Isa. 33:24).
- What need for the development or construction of weapons when there is nothing to “hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain”? (Isa. 11:9).
- What need for military camps and military training when the whole earth is at peace and there is no more war anywhere in the world? (Ps. 46:4-9).
- What need to study Criminal Justice, or to train police or law enforcement officers, when “violence shall no more be heard in thy land”? (Isa. 60:18).
- What need to study International Trade when the whole world is under one government? (Zech. 14:9).
- What need for programs to help the handicapped, the disadvantaged, the mentally or emotionally disturbed—when all human ills have been healed by Divine power?
- What need to study the Social Sciences when the solution for human ills is known and is being implemented worldwide?
- What need to study different languages, when the whole earth is adopting one pure, universal language? (Zeph. 3:9). What an opportunity to focus on teaching the one new language and to develop its fullest potential!
- What need to study the Humanities when all human philoso-phies, human concepts, and human cultures will belong to the irretrievable past, and a new philosophy and a new culture have been introduced?